DIFFERENCES BETWEEN "SEE / LOOK / WATCH"


 These 3 verbs can be confusing for Spanish native speakers since in Spanish we can translate them almost without any difference in meaning. However, in English, they are different depending on the context.

 Let's have a look and learn how to differenciate them and how to use them properly. 

👀 SEE (VER) is used to things we see in an unconscious way. That is to say, we see something because we have got eyes  and we use it when we are not focusing our energy or attention on something, but it comes into our field of vision. 

    I can see you 

    I saw an accident on my way to school yesterday


👀 LOOK (MIRAR) is used for things wee see consciously, because we want to. It means that we direct our eyes at something and pay attention to it 

    Look carefully to notice the difference between the two pictures. 

    What are you doing? I am looking at the stars (we use the preposition "at" when         look is followed by the object you are looking at)


👀 WATCH (VER/MIRAR) as with "look", is used for things we "see" in a conscious way. However, in this case, the image or thing we pay attention to is in movement. Also, it usually means that we look at something for a period of time. 

    She is watching a film on Netflix right now.

    I watched my sister driving down the street this moring. 



Comentarios

  1. This kind of nuances are what I like best in English.

    It seems to me a very action-oriented language, and I love when I find new verbs that convey the same "basic action", with subtle (or not so subtle) different meaning, while in Spanish we need to add adverbs, or even full sentences to say the same.

    Some related verbs I love: to stare at something, glare, glance...

    Seems like English people have a soft spot for looking at things, and properly name it!

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

VERBS FOLLOWED BY TO- INFINITIVE OR -ING FORM

DIFFERENT WAYS TO SAY "HOW ARE YOU?"

DIFFERENT WAYS TO EXPRESS "ANGER" IN ENGLISH